Sunday, April 29, 2012

I Drive a Truck




by Pat Darnell

I drive a truck
that's got something written
...on the side

I drive a truck
it's got something written
...on the side

It says Micro Mickey's
Double D-D's
Carpet Cleaning
Specialties and Supplies
Honk if you like.. it says...
if you like the way I drive

I drive a truck
wid' that written
on the side

I got no where
to go that
I can really hide
Mickey thinks its funny
I don't see it all that way
he don't have to drive it
like I drive it around all day...
I might drive to Alabama
I might drive to Oceanside
I might drive to Odessa
Or Columbus, Ohi'
Or maybe Argentina;
People allus' honkin' at me
...nowhere can I hide, in'a
truck with them things...
...written on the side

if you see me out a truckin'
remember how I...
...remember how I ride
please don't...
please don't honk at me
when you read...
...when you read what's
written on the side.

Lot's of trucks goin' by
...going by all day and night
"You the only one I can trust
with all those supplies..."
Says Mickey D D to my cries.

Blue, silver-tan; green and white
lot's of trucks going by
I'm feelin' so uptight....

Some of them got something...
something written on their side...
I drive D-D's truck...
...cannot shuck ya and jive...
cannot lay down dirty and die--
You know Mickey: I cannot tell you lies

I sure am wishin' that I was not denied...
'sure wish I could,
...could a' instead a' drive --
Could a' instead a' drive
a Harley Davidson Electra Glide

Lawd a'mercy... Lawd alive--
please deliver me, Lawd
...deliver me from this
...this delivery truck I drive
wi' all that mess
...all that mess,
written up on its side.

[Endorsed by The P Darnell and Arthur T Reading Rainbow Write at least one Poem a Week Coalition 1986 - 2009]

Patrick Darnell (2009)

No comments: