Sunday, June 5, 2011

Gettin’ from There to Here, listening to Coltrane and Friends

I got forty tons a haul
an’ no safe port of call
I asked my biz manager
whad’ he tho’t of it all

He said “Take it on up
to Choctaw Nation,
eh … all okay Mister Reginald”
-- just if you are a little patient

I'll Pick up 20 thousand yards
of rubble and trouble
settin’; up on side of a cliff
just for you at that station –

http://youtu.be/KW33ye4fPBA[Personnel: Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane (tenor sax), Red Garland (piano), Paul Chambers (bass), Philly Joe Jones (drums)]

I got plenty of sun
out of an Old Mexico run ….
and a red arm to show
I'm thrivin’ on that riff
easing into a Oklahoma snow

Listen'n to Ted Sonny Rollins –
don't he tell you about Jelly Roll Morton?
while you are on the road, tires flappin’
This perfect jazz is mad bitin’

You got no extra time to kiss
keepin’ it r’ill, with rubber on steel,
Till you be thrivin’ on that riff
ridin’ 40 tons of haul on wheels.




Copyright © 2010-11 Patrick Darnell

No comments: